Thursday, April 9, 2009

How Important is Packaging...???

www.golfcradle.com

The importance of packaging cannot, and for the sake of repeating my self, cannot be underestimated. Packaging is as important as the product it self. The concept is to explain to the consumer what your product does in a 3 to 4 second snapshot. The goal is to draw the buyers attention to your product.

Please learn from my mistakes. Initially at Golf Cradle, I was so wrapped up in making sure our product was build and manufactured correctly, packaging was the last thing on my mind. How wrong was I.

Back in early 2007, I was trying to meet the deadlines of our first show: The P.G.A. Merchandise Show. One of the biggest Golf Shows in the world. I was trying to juggle all the necessities of attending the Show plus ensuring that I had my first product run completed. A nightmare to say the least. The importance of boxing was minimized. As a result, a simple white box was developed with the Golf Cradle Logo and website printed on both sides. In retrospect, this was an embarrassment. I was so eager to get the product out to the public thinking that the Golf Cradle would sell it self. No go...(This is a concept that I struggle with on a daily basis. Products do not sell themselves...). The white box was a "feeble attempt" to package my product for distribution. I now understand that the Package is the first thing a consumer sees. It is the first impression to your product. Remember, you cannot make a second first impression. How right is that...After the White Box, I moved to a bright yellow box with black markings (Golf Cradle Logo and internet site). Again, a modest attempt to enhance my packaging. Definitely not worth the effort. I ordered 3500 of these boxes and I now use them for shipping the retail box in.

Yes, our retail box. I now have a retail box. My first "real" attempt to Market the Golf Cradle. At the time of completion, I was extremely pleased with the result. I do know, however, that it can and should be improved within the next two years. My current packaging now represents what the Golf Cradle does, how it works, and why you should buy it.

Hence, I now work under the assumption: the packaging is as important, as what it contains.

www.golfcradle.com

No comments: