Monday, March 9, 2009

The Next Step...Blue Prints and Proto-Types

Lets start from the blue print and proto-type stage. Getting to the final blue print took three re-visions with each change costing a fee. Let me tell you this, there are many people who enjoy taking advantage of people who are naive to the "whole business process." Let me move on. I was introduced to an individual (by a relative) who indicated that he had the abilities and know how to have my idea brought through the blue print stage to building a proto-type. He gave me a tour of his facility and followed the complete "sales protocol" in addition to being introduced to many of his "worker bees.". He gave me the whole pitch which included how busy he was, how hard he works, its hard to make money, and especially how many contacts he had to move my product to the distribution phase (he also had to mention his family, buying property, his new child, the demands of his wife and children, and the famous "family problems").

Now remember, when someone says two weeks, its more like four months....and finally (four months latter) my blue prints and proto-types were completed. And yes, to my disbelief, he did exactly what he said he could do. The blue prints were great as well as the proto-types. However, and this was my first hard lesson in reality which equates to business, nothing is what it seems and nothing costs what they say it is going to cost. The standard excuse of a price increase: there were some problems and complications that we had to deal with. And he was no exception. I truly believe that many individuals "create problems and complications" to help justify the price increase as well as to inflate their self worth as the "fixer" of the problem. I paid approximately $8000.00 for two proto-types not including the price of the blue-prints which was an additional $1800.00. Such a deal....I latter found out that the same two proto-types should of cost me $500.00. The only reason I paid the bill was because I was "stupid." I did not know any better (at the time). Beware of the men who dress in fine suites and talk in complete sentences...

Let me be as direct as I can, I am a Ph.D., and I don't make that much an hour for any work that I complete on time. This was just the beginning of my "personality flaw" of being two trusting.....

No comments: